"Wiggins School - 1892. Teacher: W. C. McCall.
"Back row: Stanley Austin, Tena Smith, John King, Bertha Misner,
Maggie King, Bill Anderson, Roy Thompson. Second row: Lizzie Highland,
Albert Bullen, Luella Highland, Lulu McDermand, Emma Lemery, Lizzie
Andrews. Third row: Ed. Smith, David Gilbertson, Bruce Beatty, Florence
Andrews, Harry Beatty, Harry Austin, George Gilbertson, Bob Andrews.
Insert: Harry Misner."
Also see: photo
School Days at
"Wiggins' School, in Union
School Section No. 13, Woodhouse, and No. 1 Townsend, is situated at the
intersection of the "Scotch Line" and the "Cockshutt
Road" -- which is the County Highway between Port Dover and
"This school has been the
door to the outside world for many hundreds of children, who lived on
Concessions 5 and 6, Woodhouse, Lots 7 to 17, and in Townsend on the
south half of Concession 14, Lots 10 to 13.
"Approximately 930 pupils,
from 1870 to the present, have been listed from various sources for this
Reunion register. Many are deceased, about 75 cannot be traced, but most
of them have relatives or friends still living in the district who can
furnish information concerning their whereabouts.
"The earliest school-house
within the memory of pupils now living, was a frame building on the east
side of the road beside the Grange Hall, on the north end of the Misner
"Tradition says that there
was an earlier "Log School" either east on the Scotch Line or
across on the south-west corner where the
present school stands.
"On a map of the locality
in 1856, now in Dr. Bannister's office, that square is marked off the
north-east corner of Josiah Wiggins farm, Lot 12, but not labelled [sic].
Within the memory of pupils who
attended school there in the 80's, an old log building, with no
inner partitions, was still standing on that spot. It had been used as a
dwelling by different families but was not divided into rooms like other
cabins of that day, and possessed a huge brick fireplace.
If this building was the first
school, it would account for the name 'Wiggins' being