History | Burt's Livery bites the dust | Back

Transcribed page 1 article from 29 Jul 1926 Simcoe Reformer
[Some paragraph breaks inserted by transcriber]

Burt's Stables to Become Garage

Time and progress wait for no man, not even His Worship the Mayor of Simcoe. This week marks the passing of the feed stables on Colborne Street, owned by Dr. A. C. Burt. The automobile has again extracted its will as the largest feed stables in Norfolk County passes into history.

It is now 26 years since Dr. William Burt, father of the Mayor, started this establishment, and for a long time it prospered exceedingly, being the rendezvous for a majority of rural visitors to Simcoe. 

In latter years, however, the inroads of the motor car have been distinctly felt, and it is noteworthy that the stables are now to be converted into a garage which will harbor the same autos that have practically rendered the feed stable business extinct.

At one time, when Simcoe had the reputation of being the foremost livery town in the province, the Burt stables had a string of 25 livery horses which were in constant use. The livery end of the business was discontinued about five years ago.

In the process of renovation now on course, the stables are being completely eliminated, and all of the spacious flour area will be devoted to the showing of cars. 

Dr. Burt's office and harness department will alone remain as at present. Accommodation has been procured elsewhere for the livery wagons.

 Copyright 2013 John Cardiff