History | A Day of Runaways | Back
The following is a lightly edited transcription of an article published on page 1 of the 20 Oct 1910 Simcoe Reformer newspaper

A Day of Runaways

On Monday, there were no less than three runaways in town, none of them fortunately resulting seriously to the occupants of the various rigs.

In the morning, Mrs. Irwin of Woodhouse, was  driving to town. Coming down the hill east of the Woolen Mill, her horse started to run, and could not be stopped. It ran up Norfolk Street as far as Curtis' corner, then turned west, being caught by Mr. Roger Cropp, with no damage done, beyond a severe fright to the driver.


Mr. J. Trembley was drawing dirt off the streets to Mrs. Rowat's premises. As he opened the gate, the horses became frightened at the steam exhaust at the Canning Factory, and started east along Robinson street. 

At Ramey's hotel, they swerved to the northwest and ran toward a small house opposite the fire hall. One animal ran on the south side of  the house, and one on the west side. 

The tongue of the wagon penetrated the corner of the building, tearing a large hole in it. A child was ill in this house, and had a bad fright.


The third event ended more seriously. Mr. and Mrs. 
T. J. Agar had been in Walsingham Centre during the day, and returned to town late in the afternoon. 

Mrs. Agar, wishing to execute a commission in the north ward, called for Leonore [sic] Harper, eldest daughter of Mr. John Harper, and drove to the house where she wished to make a call, leaving the little girl in the rig to hold the horses. 

It is not known how they became frightened, but they came down Colborne street, the little girl hanging to the lines. 

In front of the residence of N. J. H. Green, the horses went around in a wide circle once or twice and this caused the  tongue of the vehicle to drop down. 

A few rods further, in front of the curling rink, the horses came loose from the buggy, which overturned, throwing the little driver out. She was fortunately only bruised and scratched a little, although so terrified as to be almost incoherent.

The animals kept on, one being caught on Norfolk street. The other slipped on the sidewalk in front of Lynnwood Park and fell against a stump, breaking its back. 

The horse, a handsome grey animal, for which the owner, Mr. Lewis Green, liveryman, has refused an offer of $200, was not put out of its agony until the following morning.

Article Index
T. J. Agar
Roger Cropp
Lewis Green
N. J. H. Green
John Harper
Lenore Harper
Mrs. Irwin
Mrs. Rowat
J. Trembley

Copyright 2017-2018 John Cardiff