Twenty Years Ago
Thinking it might be of interest to our readers, especially to the older
residents, we have taken a copy of the Star printed on March 30, 1877, and
herewith give account of those in business at that time which will show
almost a complete change.
The following men were in
> Major B. Hague, boots and shoes;
> M. L. Harp, shoemaker;
> J. J. Church, harness-maker;
> James H. Honey, boots and shoes, store two doors west of E. E. Slaght's
shoe, on Mechanic street, sign of the large boot;
> D. Epps, practical watchmaker and jeweler, located in E. Matthew's drug
> Edward Matthews, druggist, conveyancer and commissioner, deeds, mortgages
and bonds executed, clerk of the division clerk;
> Nichol's planing mill near C.S.R. depot;
> Edward Grace, issuer of marriage licenses, bailiff 2nd division court;
> Thomas Henry, new livery, also proprietor of Canada Southern hotel
> U. J. Chambers, practical watchmaker and jeweler;
> J. L. Barber, furniture dealer, nearly opposite the Baptist church;
> L. H. Slaght, issuer of marriage licenses and agent for North British
Canadian Investment Co., offices at E. E. Slaght's store;
> T. Hague, general groceries, crockery, fruits, toys, etc.;
> E. Glover, furniture shop on Mechanic street:
> Mrs. J. O'Heron, millinery and mantles;
> L. Becker, general store;
> D. Purvis, new grocery store, two doors south of post office;
> James Joyce, boots and shoes;
> G. F. Marter, general store;
> A. & J. Little, general store;
> Green Bros., makers of Royce reapers;
> L. P. Pursel, furniture;
> J. P. Pedker, tailor;
> L. H. Lundy.
The Norfolk Spring Fair was at
this time being held at Simcoe.
A local in this issue says
"the old Baptist church has been successfully removed to its new
location just west of its former site."
The names of several prominent
places in Norfolk County are given, viz: Teeterville, Lake Hunger,
Woodpecker Point, Rattlesnake Harbor, Nickaville, Brandy Creek, Dog's
Nest, Suckerville, Pumkintown, etc.
Dr. Clark, M.PP., was at this time
canvassing North Norfolk. The Waterford meeting was held in the temperance
hall and the chair was occupied by John Lemon, Esq., at the Bealton
meeting Gilbert Taylor, Esq., J.P., occupied the chair and at the Windham
Centre meeting Juit Baker Esq., occupied the chair.
|Below we give the names of a
number of pupils of the Boston school -- W. G. Jessop, teacher -- who were successful at the February
examination of '77:
|The obituary appears in this issue
of John Wark Collver, aged 74 years. The deceased was one of the oldest
settlers in this community. His parents, John and Miriam Collver, came to
Townsend over 80 years ago, which time would be 1797, settling on what is
now known as the "Hart Farm" near Bloomsburg. He married Sara
|The following are the names of the
28th municipal council of the Township of Townsend for 1877:
Henry J. Barber, Reeve;
Levi Lewis, 1st deputy Reeve;
Isaac G. Wyckoff, 2nd deputy Reeve;
James Anderson, and Joseph H. Wooley, coucillors.
Lyman N. Collver, clerk.
A. B. Walker and Nelson Clark, auditors.
Dr. John Wilson of Simcoe was
The Round Plains school was built
about this time at a cost of $2,000. The trustees were Moses Serles, Hiram
Beemer and Oscar McMichael. The brick work was done by J. B. Clifford and
J. L. Jones was the architect.
In this issue appears an editorial
on the question of war in the east.
[Compiler's Comment: Summary of editorial omitted.]
There was talk of putting a
railroad from Simcoe to Port Rowan.
At a meeting of Wilson Lodge the
following officers were installed by Bro. C. Bennett, D.D.G.M.:
L. Becker, W.M.;
A. B. Walker, S.W.;
Rev. H. Cocks, J. W.,
D. R. Foster, Tres.,
D. Epps, Sec.,
Rev. J. Burke, Chap.,
J. P. Pearce, J. D.,
Lewis Beem, D. of C.,
Robt. Irwin, I.G.,
Alex. McDonald Tyler.
A new post office was established
in Windham, viz: Vanessa.
|The following names appeared in
the Waterford Public School report:
Div. V --
The Oratorio of Esther the Beautiful Queen was given in the Town
Hall under the direction of J. McGlashan.
Mr. and Mrs. Jas. S. Lewis
of Townsend Centre celebrated the 62nd anniversary of their wedding
day on 19 Feb '77.
The contract for building
the Baptist Church was let to Wm. Watt, Brantford, for $10,015.
George H. McMichael
graduated from the Philadelphia Dental College.
of farm produce prices omitted.]
Among the buildings erected
during that year were:
Green Bros. large foundry, corner St. James and Nichol
frame house on corner of Washington and Nichol streets, erected by
Mr. Nelson Green,
cottage on south side of Temperance street, erected by Mr. Landon
two-storey brick house on south side of East Temperance street,
erected by Dr. McGuire,
frame building on St. James street opposite new foundry, erected by
Mr. L. D. Grover,
brick house on corner of Temperence and Wellington streets, erected
by Mr. Albert Ammerman,
frame building south of W. O. R. Shrigley's, erected by Mr. Martin
This is the year employees
of Green Bros. had the renowned shooting match and oyster supper.
It was in  that the
Village of Waterford was incorporated and the following composed the
Village council for the ensuing year:
Reeve Mr. Nelson Green, Councillors Messrs. L. Becker, John L.
Barber, G. F. Marter and Walter Nichol.